Saturday, May 31, 2014

This is So Upsetting

I know there are more important things happening in the world, but I found this so upsetting. So upsetting. I don't think I can even articulate why I found it so upsetting. I read it last night and I feel like it just kept piling on until I was crushed and cowering in a corner. This was so upsetting. I think there was something behind even the words being used like "bitch" and "shrew". It's not that I'm sensitive to that kind of language itself. For me, context matters when you throw out female-negative words like termagant and virago. It's not that I believe that there was anything malicious in the article or in the writer's intent. I just... I think it was the ease with which these ideas were discussed. There is something that made so uncomfortable about it. I felt insulted and hurt and not even quite sure why. It was just so unpleasant to read.

I'm not expecting a response to this. I'm venting my woman emotions. I think there's something valid in that. I'm not attacking or judging or asking for anything. I am just saying 'this is how this made me feel.' I don't think we're obligated to enter every discussion with a perfectly articulate, ironclad argument. This made me feel bad. I found it upsetting. That's all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment