Thursday, January 16, 2014

To Reply or Ignore

Today's post is a bit random. Yes, I know most of the posts are a bit random. This is what you get when I try and write something every day regardless of whether I'm inspired or not. I've been trying out online dating for a few months now and I've learned quite a bit from the experience. But I won't go into that now.

No, today I want to focus on one small part of the experience, deciding how to reject someone you aren't interested in. Sometimes you're in a bit of a drought and more willing to consider someone you might not ordinarily give the time of day and sometimes you're willing to be more choosy. I've come to the conclusion that it's not fair to either party to give someone a chance when you really don't see even the slightest glimmer of a future. If you can't imagine even going on more than one date with someone it's not worth your time and it's not fair to waste theirs. As for how to reject their advances, I would say that it depends on the person. If someone takes the time to write me a message, as I do with all the comments and reviews I get on my writing, I try and take the time to respond. If they've just used some feature of the site that requires a minimum effort, I might just ignore the message, unless they send more and I'm forced to put an end to it. Things are difficult enough as they are with all of the false starts and contrasting motivations. I think the least we can do is try and be courteous when we can.


No comments:

Post a Comment